Monday, March 16, 2015

Mr. Popper's Penguins Read Aloud

After posting on my Facebook page asking for read aloud suggestions for my class, I decided to read Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater.


I only read aloud during morning snack time, roughly 10 minutes per day. This book has 139 pages, so it took me quite awhile to read. However, as always, I strongly believe that reading aloud to students should be a part of any literacy program. I chose to read a chapter book because some of my students are at the point where they are already reading them. Not only that, but I was taught that students should be read books that are at a higher level than what they can read. It helps to build vocabulary and enhances their knowledge of words. Some of the words we talked about included Antarctica, South Pole, North Pole, expedition, and rookery. We also learned many facts about penguins. For example, we learned that penguin usually lay only two eggs, but not in this story! There were 10 eggs! So we then hypothesized why there were so many eggs. In addition to learning all about penguins, hearing me this story aloud provided a good example of fluent reading.

Because reading this book aloud went so well, I am trying to think of what to read next!

Here are some of my choices:

Charlotte's Web


Little House in the Big Woods


More Books from the Magic Tree House Series


What do you think? Do you have any other read aloud suggestions for first grade?

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment