Saturday, January 31, 2015

Yes Ma'am

Well, there goes the New Year's Resolution of blogging more frequently. This has been my first post in a few weeks and my goal was to blog once per week. Oops.

Anyways, moving on.

I have noticed on many other blogs that teachers have been visiting the Ron Clark Academy. So I decided to get Ron Clark's book The Essential 55 from my library. I had heard about Ron Clark and his book when I was in college, but I never found the time to read it. I still don't have the time to read it, but I decided to make reading this book a priority.


I started reading it and so far, I love it! In the book, Ron Clark gives 55 rules that should be included in every classroom. Not only that, but they are great life lessons, basic things that everyone should be doing anyways.

Rule number one is to respond to adults with "Yes ma'am" or "No ma'am." This may seem like a really simple rule, but I love it.

I am from Illinois and where I come from, the majority of students do not use "ma'am" or "sir" when addressing adults. However, when I moved to Texas, these words were ingrained in my students' vocabulary. I was so shocked on the first day of school when I asked the students a question and they responded with "Yes ma'am." I have also heard young parents using these words with their children. If their child is grabbing for something that they are not supposed, the parent will catch them and say "No ma'am." I think this is something worth instilling in children at a young age. I have also taken to addressing my students in the same way. When I call on my students to answer a question, I will say "Yes ma'am" or "Yes, sir."

Since reading this rule in the book, I have addressed with my class the need to speak these words whenever addressing an adult, or even another student. I believe that it will foster a culture of respect in the classroom.

I can't wait to see what other great tips I gain from reading this book! Check it out for yourself!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment