Monday, June 2, 2014

Magic Tree House

I love to read. So, naturally, I want to share my love of reading with my students every single day. Now that the school year is coming to a close and I have finished all of the assessments and curriculum requirements for this year, I thought we would try something different. I love reading out loud to my class. We have read countless picture books this year, but I wanted something a little more challenging. In the past, I had read The Magic Tree House series to a first grade class of mine, but I thought that my students would be able to handle it in Kindergarten this year. So I decided that after recess, I would let them rest while I read a few chapters of a Magic Tree House book. The great thing about these books is that they are easy enough for the students to listen to, yet difficult enough that they have to think to know what is going on in the story. I would stop and ask questions along the way and I was amazed at how many of my students were listening. A few of them fell asleep :) But for those who were awake, listening to these chapters was helping them to develop their higher level thinking. They had to infer and make predictions of what was happening or what was going to happen based on the words alone. I did not show them any pictures. I just kept right on reading. And you know what? They LOVE the books. They ask that I read more every day. And I always give in and read just.one.more.chapter. No really, just one more, or we'll be here all day. I love that they love to listen to stories like this. It will only help them become better readers.

Here are the two books that we have read so far:

      

The great thing about these books is that I can read a few chapters a day and finish the book within a week. It only takes about 15 minutes a day!

Happy Reading!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment